Moulin Rouge! is one of the classic movies you can watch over and over and every time you find something new and even though you know the plot, you can’t help but empathize with the characters.
First time I saw the movie I was a teenager. Re-watching it now brought a total different emotions and understanding of a beautiful tragic love story.
It’s one of the most colorful movies I’ve seen! I love the costumes, decorations, and, of course, the music! I was amazed by beautiful vocals of Nicole Kidman and Ewan McGregor.
Buz Luhrmann, who also created Romeo + Juliet and The Great Gatsby, knows how to create a genuine theatrical performance in a movie!
The music choice is also very interesting. It consists of cover versions of different songs, such as Madonna’s “Material Girl”, David Bowie’s “Nature boy”, El tango de Roxanne and many others.
Moulin Rouge! was nomonimated 8 times for Oscars at the 74th Academy Awards, winning two (Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design) and 3 Golden Globe Award winner.
- Toulouse-Lautrec: The greatest thing you’ll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.
- Christian: Days turned into weeks. Weeks turned into months. And one not so very special day, I went to my typewriter,I sat down and I wrote our story. A story about a time. A story about a place. A story about the people. But above all things, a story about love. A love that will live forever. The end.
- Christian: Love is a many splendored thing. Love lifts us up where we belong. All you need is love.
- Satine: The French are glad to die for love. They delight in fighting duels. But I prefer a man who lives, and gives expensive jewels.
- The Unconscious Argentinean: We have a dance in the brothels of Buenos Aires. It tells the story of the prostitute and a man who falls in love with her. First, there is desire. Then, passion. Then, suspicion. Jealousy. Anger. Betrayal. When love is for the highest bidder, there can be no trust. Without trust, there can be no love. Jealousy, yes, jealousy will drive you mad.
- Zidler: The show must go on, Satine. We’re creatures of the underworld. We can’t afford to love.